Blogger Templates

Friday 12 August 2011

Who says CBeebies is bad for them??

He TALKS. I am finding myself having more and more conversations with my 20 month old munchkin. 

I will admit, until recently I was one of those mothers who said. TV is bad for them, get them outside, Sit and read or play blocks and use the TV for a bit of music in the background. That has all changed now though!

When Charlie reached the 18month mark my already lack of housework management took an all time plunge as Charlie decided to NEED my attention more and more. He needed his mind stimulating like never before and I began to find it impossible to keep him constantly entertained with toys that now seem to young for him, crayons and books!

I THEN decided I HAD to go against what everyone advised and get him into something he could do himself or something that could just distract him for a small amount of time whilst I ran the hoover round! CBEEBIES became my saving Grace!
At first Charlie didn't pay much attention to the TV when I first put CBeebies on for him!
He did stop to dance to the music and would occasionally pause to look at the bright colours. I was determined that one way or another I was going to find the time to Bake and prepare proper meals again and to do that he HAD to like something, anything, just ONE programme. Finally One day it just clicked, he fell in love with Mr Tumble (Something special)  and just sat cross legged with blocks in his hands. I took the opportunity to sneak out of the room and get stuff done. I did and was able to get back before he even noticed I was gone.

8 Weeks later he has developed so much. His speech is coming on at an incredible rate and he has recently started to recognise objects such as Duck, Clock and Car. Now I know he still has a bit of catching up to do, when I compare him to my friends daughter I'm like OMG he's so far behind. But he is now learning so many new things everyday it's just amazing! I know all the attention and effort I put in at the start had a positive impact on his development  but I honestly think that a small amount of CBeebies each day has helped him grow in confidence and help him learn new words and numbers and how to recognise objects. He now Loves to watch Show me Show me, Something Special and the Teletubbies (downside to that is when I read him his bedtime story at night I'm greeted with again again!)

Allowing your child a small amount of TV a day doesn't have to be followed with a lifetime of guilt. Watch it with them so you can carry on the 'learning' they have done during the programme or use it to have 15mins catch up on Housework or sit with a cuppa. It isn't the crime of the century that everyone makes it out to be. I only wish I had found CBeebies sooner.

Charlie 20 Months

3 comments: